The Winton Wetlands Reserve is a 90 km2 wetland landscape restoration project site located between Glenrowan and Benalla, previously known as Lake Mokoan.
The reserve is open to the public 24/7, and has a visitor centre / Cafe, over 100 km of roads, walks and cycling trails; 5 camping areas; 5 public toilet blocks and a lot of wildlife. The Mokoan Hub & Cafe visitor centre is located along the main road around the wetlands at 652 Lake Mokoan Rd, Chesney Vale.
The Winton Wetlands mission is to renew the ecology of the reserve, growing its natural, scientific, cultural and environmental significance and delivering education, research, tourism, recreation and community development outcomes.
Formed in 2010, the reserve’s management committee has focused on:
- Rebuilding ecological integrity and protecting and reintroducing threatened species
- Renewing infrastructure and amenity to rebuild local access, recreation and pride
- Creating unique and life-changing experiences for visitors
- Involving local indigenous people in the renewal project and through recognition of hundreds of indigenous cultural heritage sites
- Demonstrating how ecological and cultural regeneration can affect people’s lives and drive economic development