Albury-WodongaNE VictoriaSouthern New South Wales

Menu

Articles: community

Losing a Legend

| At home, community, nature

By Tess Middleton, Fin Free Albury Wodonga On January 31st this year we lost one of the ocean’s greatest advocates and the sharks’ greatest hero. Rob Stewart grew up swimming and scuba diving. It blossomed to a love of the marine ecosystem, leading Stewart to study biology in school at the University of Western Ontario and …

The Time to Act Is Now

| At home, climate change, community, health, nature

By Gill Baker, Wangaratta Sustainability It’s not only the head of the Catholic Church who has recognised the invidious nature of human induced Climate Change, and has been prepared to speak out about it. As well as the Christian Churches, Islamic, Buddhist and many other religious groups have ‘Green Faith’ movements which are concerned about protecting …

Adani and Westpac

| climate change, community, money matters, nature

By Tracey Esler  The earth is one big living, breathing, interconnected entity. The Great Barrier Reef is like the canary in the coalmine and it’s seriously ill. Our very own Westpac Bank may well put the final nail in the Reef’s coffin if they lend money for the proposed Adani Carmichael coal mine in Queensland. …

“Bringing the Light”

| community, money matters, nature

By Richard Paschke, Wangaratta Stephanie Woollard is one of the most impressive young people I have met in my life. In August last year Stephanie invited me to a screening of the documentary ‘Bringing the Light’ which portrays the company ‘Seven Women’, and the impact the company has on many of the poorest women and men …

Volunteering

| community, health, waste

By Lizette Salmon,  Repair Café Albury-Wodonga coordinator It’s often said that volunteers are the lifeblood of an organisation. I disagree. At Albury-Wodonga’s Repair Café they’re the blood, the guts, the heart and the backbone. Our Repair Café opened in November 2015 and keeps getting better, thanks to an ever-growing team of dedicated helpers. At each session …

Climate as a Common Good

| At home, climate change, community, nature

By Karen Bowley, Wodonga Albury Towards Climate Health (WATCH) and Wooragee Landcare While the Catholic Church has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons, the Pope has outlined a clear understanding of climate change in his Encyclical Letter “Laudato si” written in May 2015. In part of that letter the Pope quite rightly …

Where is my Tiny House?

| At home, community, energy, money matters

By Lubosh Hanuska, Organiser of Tiny Houses Albury Wodonga and President of SOAP House Design Inc. The Tiny House movement is now a global phenomenon. However, small dwellings are nothing new. Without embarking on the journey across the globe listing all the small homes people live in let’s be honest with ourselves, personally. Before you continue …

Living Simply

| At home, At work, community, money matters, nature, waste

By Stacey Rich, PhD candidate at La Trobe University  One loaf of bread changed the direction of my life. That’s not the whole truth. It was a loaf of bread and a jar of jam. The bread and the jam were both made by me, with yeast caught from the air in our kitchen, and berries my …

Presence for Christmas

| At home, community, health, waste

By Claire Greenhalgh, Director of the Sustainable Activity Centre We have seven chickens and love to give any spare eggs to friends and family. Often, we have more than we need in our humble home of four, so we gladly share. Frequently it’s done with an exchange of some other item while spending time with the recipient; …

Shark Nets: Entangled in the Media’s Negative Journalism

| community, nature

By Tess Middleton, Fin Free Albury Wodonga There are two words dominating the news at the moment, and I don’t mean Trump and Clinton. I am talking about shark nets. Spring is here again and as sure as the season arrives, so does the debate on shark nets. Shark nets and drum lines are installed in many …