Albury-WodongaNE VictoriaSouthern New South Wales

Menu

Articles: community

Cutting Down on Waste is Child’s Play

| community, waste

By Sarah McAlister, Yackandandah Toy Library When my partner and I had our first child, we were acutely aware of the stuff that came with having said child, and would quickly fill the space in our small house – the pram, the car seat, the cot, the teeny tiny clothes, the cloth nappies, the hand-me-down toys …

Connect with Fellow Fair Food Followers

| At home, community, food

By Jade Miles, Beechworth Food Co-op Now in its third year, the North East Fair Food Farmers and Followers gathering on Sunday, February 24 is a gritty convergence of like-minded local people who embrace, support and farm fair. A day of connection, sharing, learning and solidarity, it’s an uplifting event that truly celebrates food and all …

Power and knowledge is not enough, we need to act!

| climate change, community, nature

By Gill Baker Back in the day of my youth the BBC ran some excellent children’s programs, and my favourite presenters of wild life shows was David Attenborough. So, unlike most of the world’s population, I was privileged to meet pangolins, armadillos and rainforests via this medium, thus gaining a lifetime love of the natural …

World Wetlands Day

| At home, community, nature, waste

By Tess Middleton World Wetlands Day was first celebrated on February 2 1997 and was created to raise awareness about the value of our wetlands for both humanity and the planet. Celebrations by non-government organisations, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies and community groups are held to celebrate and recognise the importance and benefits of our wetlands; truly …

Global Challenge to Reduce Plastic Use

| community, nature, waste

By Elvie Rooney A friend of mine and I recently returned from a backpacking trip from England to Croatia and all the while we couldn’t help but make comparisons. We compared things from the pigeon populations to the ancient city architecture, from the weather to the fashion, but one constant source of discussion was the …

Plastic Free 2019

| community, nature, waste

By Tess Middleton Did you know that one garbage truck worth of plastic goes into the ocean every minute? In the last decade on Aussie beaches alone, more than 2.53 million plastic pieces, almost one million cigarette butts and 512,400 pieces of plastic bags were collected. Tragically more than 100,000 turtles, dolphins, sharks, whales and …

Sustainable Living Festival Wrap-Up

| community

By Renate Griese, Events Officer, AlburyCity We’re all at different stages of our living lightly journeys, so the annual Albury Wodonga Sustainable Living Festival does its best to cater for everyone on the sustainability spectrum – from the casual and committed to the just plain curious. More than 4500 people attended the 40 events featured …

StopAdani School Strike and Funeral for our Future

| climate change, community, energy

By Lizette Salmon, StopAdani Albury-Wodonga Desperate times call for desperate measures. Tomorrow our kids are striking from school and on Saturday we’re hosting a funeral for our future. The Adani Carmichael coal mine situation has become much worse in the past few weeks. It looks like they’ve found a way to restructure the project’s plans …

Interpretation

| community, garden, health, nature

By Anne Stelling, Facilitator, Wodonga Urban Landcare Network The question common to people in Landcare is how to get people to care about our environment. How can we get our message heard, and more importantly, make the hearer care enough to make a change? How can we share our passion in a way that ignites others? It …

Wodonga Middle Years College sustainable gardening tour

| community, food, garden, health

By Helena Foster, School Community Gardener, Wodonga Middle Years College Felltimber Campus Back in the 70’s I read a memorable article in Grass Roots magazine by the late Neil Douglas, Australian artist, environmentalist and advocate for sustainable living, where he stressed the need for schools to run gardening as part of every child’s education. Prophetically, …